Monday, March 29, 2010

Maria Mena

There have been so many artists featured on this blog that come out of Nashville. There is no doubt that it is a place over flowing with amazing talent. This week though our artist comes from a place much farther away – Norway. I first heard Maria Mena on Pandora and immediately fell in love with her music and soon after bought her album White Turns Blue. Sadly, the rest of her albums are not available in the U.S. unless you want to pay $20 to import. It just might be worth it as this young emerging singer/songwriter has come a long way since releasing her first single in 2001 at just fifteen. Her first single “My Lullaby” is a song she wrote while coping with her parents divorce. Maria writes her song after real life experiences and as a result her music has touched her fans including myself. Her track “Sorry” is my favorite and tells a tragic story of loving a friend who does not love you back.

Maria has already released five albums including the most recent Cause and Effect in 2008. I was able to hear some samples on Amazon and can already hear how far she has come over these last few years. As she has gotten older her voice has changed and become stronger allowing her to sing a wider range of songs. As well as sharing her life through her songs Maria also blogs heavily to connect with her fans. “I like sharing my ups and downs and I believe it’s extremely important to maintain a relationship with those who ultimately buy and appreciate my music” These days, with Twitter and blogs, artist are connecting more with their fans who now feel closer to their favorite artists.

Maria’s career has been blossoming throughout Europe and with one album released in the U.S., a David Letterman performance and several tracks used on the hit show So You Think You Can Dance, my hope is that she will have some success here as well. Her music is raw, beautiful and touching and I can’t wait until I get her new releases. If you love Maria’s music you purchase physical copies through Amazon.com.

I hope you have enjoyed this week’s artist. Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section.




No comments: