Monday, March 8, 2010

Meaghan Smith

The music, movies and fashion of the 20s, 30s and 40s has always captivated and inspired me. My mother raised me on the old classic movies and to this day Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers films and anything with James Stewart holds a very special place in my heart. So when another artist takes inspiration from that era when people dressed in evening gowns and tuxes for dinner then I know I’ll love it. The music of Meaghan Smith takes me back to those decades I think I was meant to live in. She too is influenced by those decades and it is so very evident in her music. Meaghan’s debut album, The Cricket’s Orchestra is something quite magical to me. She says of her release, “I wanted the album to be an inspiring musical experience that makes you feel like you’re leaving one world and entering another — a colorful, whimsical and imaginative place where you can reflect on your past and look forward to your future.” Doesn’t that sound just wonderful? Well, after hearing the whole album I whole-heartedly agree.

Meaghan Smith grew up in Ontario, Canada with a very musical family. Her mother taught piano and her father was a bass player. Though her three sisters are talented singers and musicians Meaghan is the only one pursuing a career. She didn't always believe that music was for her as she was overwhelmed by stage fright. Instead she went to school to study animation. It was there that she continued to write and play her music and perform little concerts in the stairway on her guitar for a few people at the animation school. She couldn’t keep herself away from music and with some encouragement from others she worked on recording a demo and played at local venues to build her confidence and get over the stage fright.

The name of the album, The Cricket’s Orchestra, seems like the perfect title as several of the tracks actually sound like there could be a little cartoon orchestra of bugs and birds playing instruments made of grass, flowers and leaves. I know it may sound crazy but listen to “A Little Love.” Can’t you just picture Jiminy Cricket conducting this orchestra? Meaghan also released a Christmas EP last year titled Wish Upon A Star.

With this debut album Meaghan Smith is signed with Sire Records and she is on the roster for the Lilith Fair, which is returning this year. She is on the roster with several others who have been featured here: A Fine Frenzy, Erin McCarley, The Weepies and Rosie Thomas to name a few. They haven’t released the dates but I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to attend this year. I was never old enough to go before so I’m excited to be a part of what will hopefully be a continuing tradition that supports women’s charities and female musicians.

I hope you have enjoyed the beautiful music of Meaghan Smith. To learn more about her and the making of The Cricket’s Orchestra you can view the video bio below. I can’t confirm but I’m assuming this video is showcasing Meaghan’s animation skills. Make sure to leave you comments below about the music.






Photo 1 & 3 by Jennifer Tzar

4 comments:

Tim said...

Meaghan Smith and Buble duet... just sayin. That would be pretty awesome. You should tell them to get on that asap.

Natalie said...

wow I totally love her animated bio on video... so cool.

Rev. Rebecca said...

I fell in love with her music a couple of weeks ago after being turned on to it by a friend. She has great style.

a.love said...

she makes me want to sip a martini and sit at a cobble stone street cafe writing....