1. So Charlie, your Kickstarter is off and running for the new album. Can you tell us a little about what Kickstarter is and how it works?
It is indeed off and running! Kickstarter is a sweet platform for artists such as myself to fund projects. A person can choose to pledge any amount of money, and in return they will be given a reward if the goal is reached (if it's not reached, then you don't get the rewards and you are not charged for your pledge). I was recently discussing the whole thing with my friend Will - at first he was under the impression that is was like running a donations-based fundraiser. I don't care for that description because it seems to infer that people are involved in a one-sided transaction. With Kickstarter, nobody gets nothing in return for something. Every person who pledges not only will receive a cool Thank-You for their support (like a signed copy of the album, or their name in the liner notes or their initials tattooed on my body), but more importantly, by backing this project, they become part of it's history. When you choose to back this record, you are literally becoming a valuable part of it getting made. I'm going to love delivering every one of my supporters their rewards, but the best part will be giving them the completed record, because we have all been a part of making it.
2. How long have you been waiting to make this album?
3. How has the recording process gone for you so far?
At this moment, we've mostly been doing demos and deciding which songs to use - pretty early on in the actual recording process, but it's already surprising me. The success we experienced with "Invention" has really got my blood moving. I can't wait to see what we come up with when we really dig in to the process.
4. Has your music changed since your previous released recordings? Do you feel like your style has changed or developed over the last year?
5. Once the album is out do you plan on hitting the road and touring?
I do! Most of the touring will likely be in the spring, but I will start circling the wagons in the fall. Part of the Kickstarter is the option for people to buy a personal concert, so those will be my first priority.